Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The end of my 30 day challenge, Facebook and some other funny shit.


So I’ve reached the end of my one blog a week for 30 days challenge, and I succeeded. Yey me! Enjoyed it too. Now going to try and keep up a regular post, so be prepared for some continued regular random rants/moments of profoundness from me as time goes on.  But, after the deep nature of my post on Sunday, I’m going to try and keep this one light!

One great thing about writing this stuff, and also about the previous challenge with the pictures, is that it enables me to look back and remember things I may have forgotten. I was never good at keeping a diary as a kid, didn’t have the dedication, but the joys of blogging, and my oh-so-copious use of Facebook, allows me to chronicle some of the stuff that does go on.

I get a fair bit of stick for my use of Facebook, and every now and then it riles me. More often than not it’s water off a ducks back though. Now, in fairness, most of it is light-hearted, but there’s normally a little undertone of disdain/disapproval in the comments. Yes I use it a lot, yes I post a lot of stuff, but it’s my page. I can do what I want with it. I have people on my timeline who I like and who I care about. I don’t have randomers or people I’m trying to impress. I’m not a ‘keeping up with the Jones’s’ kind of girl.  And contrary to popular belief, I don’t post every thing about every single nuance of my life (or that of my friend’s) on there. Now, it’s safe to say that I’m fairly transparent in my comings and goings, but there’s also a fair bit of stuff that goes on that isn’t for public consumption, and likely never will be. Because really, it’s none of anyone else’s business!

Yes I post some crap, yes I’ve posted some stuff that’s kicked off some right arguments (and that’s always fun when certain people get involved! You know who you are!), and I post  pictures of anything and everything. But you all cope, and if you don’t well, see ya. Sorry to sound so flippant, but if it bothers people that much, just un-friend me. I’m really not going to loose any sleep over it. Cue me throwing myself to the floor kicking and screaming…..Please don’t leave me!!!!!! Ahem.

I do love Facebook though, it allows me to maintain contact with people I’ve lost contact with over the years, between moving around etc. And it entertains me on a daily basis. Some of the crap you see flying around does make you question the whole “survival of the fittest” thing. You’ve got to love the Internet for highlighting the stupidity of others…and also massively highlighting my own sometimes, it has to be said! Which leads me nicely onto my next point: Funny shit on t’Internet!

I’m a regular clicker onto The Chive, The Poke, Guyism and The Daily Mash  and they never fail to amuse me.

I’ve been an appreciator of The Daily Mash for about 5 years now, and my favourite story is, and always will be, “Look at the size of this fucking rat”. It never fails to make me laugh, even now, and I must have read it at least 20 times. (Yes, I’m easily pleased)
I also recommend people check out the horoscopes on the Mash, Psychic Bob is a legend.

We all know the multitude of stuff that’s out there for our amusement. YouTube is another great one for amusing little titbits. But, in my opinion, one of the best sites I’ve ever seen is David Thorne’s http://www.27bslash6.com/. If you’ve never heard of David Thorne, he’s the guy who tried to pay his overdue bank amount with a picture of a seven legged spider.
I bought his book The Internet is a playground and I can’t read it in public for fear of being sectioned, it makes me laugh that maniacally.

My parting shot in this post though is to The League of Gentleman. Some of you may be familiar with this show from the late 90's/early 00’s. I watched it a lot with Lucy at college and we used to cry laughing. It’s my kind of humour. Totally random, downright weird, very dark and brilliantly written.
It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, I do realise this. But I have to call out a few utter gems from the shows history.

Legz Akimbo: This was my first introduction into TLoG. Neil and Andrew rocked up to our A-Level Theatre Studies class one day and re-enacted this entire scene from the episode that had been broadcast the night before. I remember crying with laughter and my love of The Gents was born.  Unfortunately I can’t find the clip of the original sketch, but this gives you a flavour of what it’s all about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWeZ0RbaEig

Pam Doove: There are no words to explain this, you just have to watch it. It’s just fabulously random.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wB0OkcCps8

I didn’t force her!: Are you very kind, kind, fairly kind, or not at all kind to animals? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IQJNwvtkmg&playnext=1&list=PL5F3F724742045993

And finally, my all time favourite: Go Johnny Go Go Go Go…(not Bamalamafizzfadge) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtSvaSZ-xLU


Hmm, I started writing this post in a great mood. Sun is shining and it’s a good day. But a combination of events over the space of about an hour have led to me being in a STINKER of a mood now. Women? Mood swings? Whatever gave you that idea?!
Oh, and I REALLY need to stop eating these Mint Imperials on my desk. They're highly addictive though...but they're just there, for the eating...nom nom nom. See, am in a better mood already!

Until next time.
Much love,
Sandra.
x

No comments: